Wednesday 28 November 2012

Skull Effect on Photoshop.

I chose this photograph because it focuses fully on the face as does the tutorial, also they're no odd angle which could make the transforming in photoshop more complicated. The bizarre mad-hatter style would also work well with this because of the spooky elements of both subjects. I chose to produce this particular type of experiment because the mystery and supernatural elements relate well to my fairy photographs but give them a darker twist.
Here I followed the tutorial and only masked half of her face so that the transition effect could blend with the tones of the face.
Here I transformed the whole of the face which looked quite out of perspective and I had trouble warping the photograph to achieve an accurate effect. I preferred only half of the face covered.

1. I opened my photograph in photoshop and then dragged a skull photograph onto it as a new layer.

2. I pressed enter to place it and then pressed 'cmd t' to retransform the image, I resized it to the same size as the face and rotated it to the same direction.

3. Using the magnetic lasso tool I drew around the skull and then clicked the select tab and inverse select, then I clicked cut to delete the background of the skull photograph.

4. 'Ctrl t' to transform it again but this time clicking warp on the options so that I could stretch the face of the skull over my photograph, enter to place this.

5. 'Alt' and then click between the 2 layers to create a clipping mask.

6. Then go to layer, layer mask and hide all.

7. Using the brush tool on white, I drew over the face with an opacity of 45 to have a subtle skull tone on the face.

8. When happy I adjusted the brightness and contrast and saved my outcome.

This tutorial was fairly easy and I enjoyed doing it because of the way the tones worked well together, I would take this further in terms of a final piece because I could link it with the spooky death-like elements in Wawi's (who I have briefly looked at) work such as the darkness and spider webs, also the cracked and frayed texture on human faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment