Friday 30 November 2012

Shattered Glass Effect on Photoshop.

1. I loaded the original photograph that I wanted to use into photoshop, also from google I dragge din a photograph of shattered glass (prefferably black and white so the black can be selected easier), I made sure this photograph had a hold in it that was appropriate for me to place over my subjects face.
2. On the glass photograph layer I then changed the blending mode in the drop down menu above the layers from normal to screen.
3. To line up the hole in the glass with the face I went to edit, then free transform and clicked warp so I could stretch the hole to the correct place whilst holding shift to resize the glass layer image to cover my whole photograph.
4. Using the polygonal lasso tool I drew over parts of the cracks in the glass that were around the hole, I aslo added some into it to create a shape around her face that would be deleted to reveal her face more.
5. By clicking on the layer mask icon below the layers, I hid this selection around her face.
6. Using a photograph from google of a blank background with a slight dirty look and texture to it I dragged this into my document as a new layer. Using free transform in the edit drop down menu, I held shift to resize my layer to cover the whole document.
7. I then dropped the opacity of this layer to 50 and dragged the layer beneath the glass layer.
8. Then to get rid of the area on her face where I had previously cut out as a layer mask, I held down 'cmd' and clicked to drag the layer mask I created on the glass layer onto this layer.
9. On the texture layer, I went into layer style, chose bevel and emboss, then went into the techniques drop down menu and changed it to chisel hard. Also I bumped up the depth until visibly appropriate, dropped the size down to 2, and finally played around with the lighting circle until the direction of it looked correct.
10. To enhance the edges more I added a contour (which is in the menu on the bevel and emboss window), on the drop down menu I selected ring double, I adjusted the lighting again to see what looked best.
11. I went into the drop shadow menu, using multiply as a blending mode I manually dragged the shadow down until appropriately representing the glass being over her face.
12. To enhance lighting of whole photographs, I added a new layer above the original photograph but below layers with mask on them.
13. Using the gradient tool, I used foreground to transparent, I changed foreground white to black, I drew from middle of the face to outwards so that the composition gets darker as it goes out, then I changed the blend mode to multiply.
14. Reselecting the top layer with glass picture, I held 'cmd' and on the layer flyout menu chose merge visible.
15. I then went on image, adjustments, hue saturation, colourise, and changed the hue to 200, saturation to 40 and left the lightness at 0.
16. I changed the blend mode to soft light to give it a blue cast for dramatic effect.
I chose to do this because I had heard of shattering negatives in the darkroom so I thought I could try something similar digitally, I decided not to go ahead with shattered negatives because I didn't want to take this idea further run terms of leading up to a final piece because I wasn't too keen on the result, I didn't think it looked as realistic as it could have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment