Here I decided to muddle up the simple portraits I had taken (with intention to reticulate) and combined them with portraits with the same compositional distance as a contrast between male and female, fashionable and casual. The shattered idea was inspired from the shattered glass photoshop tutorial I previously did. Also, as an alternative to reticulation my teacher suggested I cut up my actual negatives and re arrange them with other photographs, I knew this wouldn't work because of the various exposure times used on each individual photograph, the pieces of one negative could be very contrasted and perfectly printed, and the other pieces rather dull and under exposed, so instead I did this practically with existing prints by cutting them whilst they were stuck back to back with blu tac and laying the pieces down in place removing the top photograph in specific places to reveal the other photograph underneath. I had this in mind as a final piece if it had worked so I porduced these on larger paper than all of my other experiments which are 7x9 inches and did these 7x11 inches, here are my experimentations -
This one worked very well because of how well the photographs fitted together, I should have included more parts of the male photograph to allow the mixed idea to come through more.
This second attempt worked very well too, I liked this idea very much, I think it is the compositional choice of photographs that make it work so well, also the emphasis on the fantasy styled fashion in this photograph and a similar emphasis on the casual clothing.
I felt that the pieces on this one were slightly too large and took away the effect of the shattering because they looked too soft and large rather than small and snappy, allowing them to mix more. I like the view of both models hair here but feel the composition of the casual photograph may be too large to be able to match up to the Alice photograph.
To make these pieces more interesting I thought that I could sew the pieces together and see if this would work. I liked the way it looked when I started but it was very complicated to sew the pieces when they weren't originally attached to eachother, I didn't like the effect enough to do the rest of it so I rethought my ideas and began to experiment on something else.
A close up of the stitching, it looks better close up because I feel that the larger sized pieces above took away the impact of the threading, or perhaps it was too thin to be seen and didn't have much of an impact on my work.
Here is a test strip of the photograph I wanted to use to create more Khan inspired blurs on the 7x10 inched larger scale. I did it in sets of 3 seconds, F16, filter 5, the highest exposure was 15 and still underexposed so I chose to go by 20 seconds.I split the exposure time into 3 (roughly 7 seconds each blur) and tried to create blurs that were similar to what I did before but this time going off of the page. I wanted to see if I could use another sheet of paper to create the rest of the photograph that was missing in these blurs onto this.
On this sheet I used the same timings for each blur as the first attempt and tried to produce the other side of the composition to match up to that first attempt, where I had to cover up half of the paper to produce the blur on the right, the inaccuracy of this caused an unexposed line down the middle of this. I tried to do this more accurately another 4 times (in my stekchbook) but the line was either under exposed and white or over exposed and black which didn't look technically good to be used as a final outcome so I thought of another idea instead.
I chose to try red and do it on this composition because of the original colour of the Queen of Hearts character is red, I liked the combination of splatters and blurs but wanted to peronalise this and enhanc eit even more.Here I produced my collage by cutting up the actual prints, also scanning parts of them onto tracing paper and coloured card to see what worked best, I used these blurs combined with my collaging and added splatters and hand prints, I was very pleased with this outcome and wanted to make a series of 3 for my final piece, I felt that one would be too empty and it needed more to it. The colours represent the vibranc eof the costumes, I knew that when creating the other 2 pieces for the final (I used this one because I liked it so much) I would have to keep the colours the same and follow the same pattern of thems o that it didn't become too random and confusing.